717 North Maple Ave.
De Queen, AR 71832
The museum staff invites you to come in and browse through the history of Sevier County.
Hours of Operation
Tuesday through Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Groups by appointment only
HISTORY OF SEVIER COUNTY
Some of the Anglo settlers who came to Sevier County were Joseph McKean, George Boren, James M. Coulter, the Halbrooks, the Kings, the Ladds, the Wrights and the Sloanes. Many other families also settled in the county prior to 1840.
A listing of some of the early settlements in the county follows: Brownstone, earlier known as Pine Woods, was named for Henry K. Brown an early, wealthy plantation owner. Ultima Thule was settled by the McKeon family. Others were: cross Trails, Dilworth, Farribaville, later renamed Provo, Paraclifta, Lockesburg, De Queen, Red Colony, Nashville, Macasie Schoolhouse, Bellville, Williamson, Norwoodville, Falls Chapel, Ben Lomond, Riddle, and Millwood. Walnut Grove, Melrose and Riddle consolidated their schools and communities around 1910. Other communities were Chapel Hill, a very thriving community, Cossatot, later Cossatot Mines, and then Jodenbrook, Neal Springs, King, Simpson Ridge, Avon, Silver Hill, Betton, which wa merged into the De Queen post office about 1896, Gravelly Point, Holcomb, Hortense and Nettle Hill. Hortense becameGeneva in 1906. Still others were Green's Chapel, Lemric, Milford/Edwin, Antioch (Moore's Spur), Moore's Spur/Mineral, Gillham, Oak Grove Community, Petty, Willis, Ruch, Hughes, Sardis, Holcomb, Paraloma, Ben Lomond, Wright's Chapel School (1907), Blanchard, Woodman Camp, Cheatham, Corn Hill, Pullman, Round Top (1915), Hurricane Creek and Antimony.