Department of Entomology Arthropod Museum
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
The collections of the University of Arkansas Arthropod Museum date back to the beginning of the College of Agriculture. The Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1888. In 1905, Colonel W. G. Vincenheller, Station director, successfully lobbied in Little Rock for financial support. The bill that appropriated funds for buildings and maintenance also established the College of Agriculture. Departments devoted to entomology as well as horticulture, agronomy, animal husbandry, and other agricultural subjects were soon organized. The early faculty was composed, for the most part, of Station staff.
Charles Fredrick Adams was appointed Head of the Department of Entomology in the fall of 1905. He had received his M.D. degree from Kansas City Medical College in 1902 and the A.M. degree from the University of Kansas in 1903, and he had studied under Samuel Wendell Williston, the prominent dipterist who also trained such celebrated entomologists as A. L. Melander and J. M. Aldrich. Adams’ collection, with notable holdings of Tabanidae, was the nucleus around which the collection of the Arthropod Museum was built. He became acting director of the Experiment Station in the fall of 1908, and the following year he was made dean and director of the College of Agriculture (Reynolds and Thomas 1910), though he retained his title as head entomologist. Adams hired aphid taxonomist Paul Hayhurst in 1910.....