500 Tiger Boulevard
Bentonville, Arkansas 72712
According to the History of Arkansas (1889), the first public school in Bentonville was constructed in 1872. It burned and was rebuilt in 1880. Until 1910 the elementary and high school were together. In 1910 the school district acquired the old Ouachita Academy building and changed it to Bentonville High School and housed grades 9-12. In 1928 a new school was constructed at the cost of $25,000 (currently Old High Middle School).
The ever-growing Bentonville district received federal aid and built an agriculture building in 1947 and a gym in 1949. In 1966 a new cafeteria was built behind the high school, and in 1967 a new building housed the library, study hall, home economics department and guidance office. A fine arts building was completed in 1971.
In the fall of 1975, a new high school was completed at 402 Tiger Boulevard housing grades 9-12. September 1980 brought a reorganization of the school system again. Bentonville High School housed grades 10-12. As the community has continued to grow and in order to meet the needs of an increasing student population, the leadership of the school board and the support of the citizens of Bentonville combined to make the new high school, located at 1901 Northeast J Street, a reality. The state-of-the-art facility has approximately 230,000 square feet and was built at a cost of approximately $19,000,000.
In 2001, the Arend Arts Center, a multi-million dollar fine arts facility, was opened. The new Tiger Stadium across from the high school opened in 2005 and is considered the best high school stadium in the state.
Bentonville High School has experienced rapid growth. The rapid growth and increase in student population has challenged the district to meet facility needs. In the fall of 2006 Bentonville High School became a 9-12 campus with approximately 2800 students. In order to accommodate student growth, an additional 275,000 square feet was added to the west, north and east of the original building. Bentonville Schools have successfully met the challenges of change through history. BHS, along with all the district schools, welcomes these challenges and perceives them as opportunities in which to serve the students of the district.